Thursday, December 27, 2012

Apple Crumble

I am not very good at desserts. Whereas my mother makes the most wonderful desserts, I am definitely better at preparing the savory part of the meal. For this reason (and because I am inherently lazy) I tend to rely on a small range of dessert options that I have tried and tested so many times that I can make them blind. Apple crumble is an all time favorite, not only with my family but also with friends. An added plus is the fact that it's easy to make and can be prepared in advance. Served with a bit of vanilla ice cream it's the perfect ending to any meal.



Ingredients: 
300gr flour
175gr brown sugar
200gr butter
450gr apples (I usually use Granny Smith)
70ml white wine

Preparation

1. Peel and core the apples, then cut them into slices. Heat a knob of butter in a pan and gently fry the apple slices for about 5 mins after sprinkling with a tablespoon of brown sugar. Add the wine and allow to bubble away for a few minutes. 



2. Mix the flour, sugar, and the butter in a bowl (cut the butter into cubes beforehand) and mix with your hands until the mixture takes on a crumbly texture (you need to rub the ingredients between your fingers and hands).  

3. Fill the cooked apples into an oven dish and cover with the crumble. Heat the oven to 180°C and cook the crumble until it's slightly brown (this takes roughly 35 mins). 


Allow to cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment